It was just the other day I was speaking with a friend about the upcoming Canadian Federal elections informed me that she has never voted and refuses to vote. I looked at her shocked, “Why don’t you vote?”
“Nothing ever gets done. It’s not like my vote matters.”
I think my ears went red and I went into grill mode “So instead of following the election, checking out each political party’s platform, and making an informed decision on who you want to represent Canada and your views. You are telling me you would rather not vote?”
I felt a surge of crankiness flow through my veins I attempted to refrain from turning into my mother and giving a lecture on the importance of voting, your democratic right, and your time to make a choice for your country. I wondered where this apathy stems from? It was in 2008 Canada has the lowest turn-out of voters at 58.8 percent. Imagine if the other 41.2 percent got up went and voted!
Would we be spending another 288 million dollars for another election? Or could that money be well spent for various government programs?
It’s time to make the change you want. If you don’t vote, don’t complain! The government is there to work for you. If you care about health care, education, senate reform,and foreign policy. If you care you should vote. You have an opportunity to be heard and now is your time!
Apathy isn’t cool. Quite Frankly, I find it boring! It’stime to liven up the conversation and vote! Let yourself be heard and appreciate the democratic freedom you have to make a choice for your country. Voting is a right that we take for granted and it’s time we see its value! It’s time to vote for the change we want our country to represent.
Now, I’m stepping off my soapbox and want to hear from you! What change do you want to see in government? And do you plan on voting?
Categories: budget canada canada votes canadian federal election 2011 canadian politics cost of federal election 2008 election 41 Life majority government minority government motivation musings my life opinions policy politics random thoughts thoughts voter turn out 2008 voting
Darcie Cameron is a RYT 200 who believes Yoga is a gift that is accessible to everyone with proper modifications, a patient smile and just taking the time to breathe. One of the greatest presents you will ever unwrap is when you connect your mind, body and spirit in perfect sync with your own breath. Connect with Darcie on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/darciecameronlovesyoga